Kitchen Hood Cleaning
When was the last time you looked under the hood of your stove or checked out your exhaust fan filters? Most people do not think about kitchen hood cleaning. If it has been a while, you need to be prepared to see grime and dirt. If the hood filter is working properly, then it should have collected a lot of grease. Over time, these filters block since they accumulate with grease and end up losing their effectiveness. Therefore, you need to clean them on a regular basis if you want them to keep working properly. The following instructions will show you how to clean a greasy filter by yourself.
What You Need
- Very hot water
- Degreasing dish soap
- A scrub brush that is not abrasive
- Dish cloth
- Remove the filters– most filters will easily slide out of the hood. However, others have a metal loop that is used to push the filter up so that it can slide out easily.
- Fill a bucket with hot water– make sure that the water is boiling hot so that it can be more effective in removing grease.
- Add baking soda and dish soap-add dish soap and ¼ cup of baking soda to the hot water. Use the brush to mix it up until the water looks sudsy.
- Insert filters– submerge the greasy filters into the soapy water. They have to be completely covered so that all the grease comes out.
- Soak– let them soak for about 20 minutes.
- Scrub the filters– use the non-abrasive brush to scrub the exhaust fan filters clean and add more soap to the brush if you need to.
- Rinse and dry– the filters should be rinsed thoroughly in boiling hot water and dried with a dish cloth.
- Replacement and maintenance– put the filters back under the hood. You should consider cleaning them once a month to keep them in good working condition.
This hood cleaning method should only be attempted by a professional. Before you start, ensure that the fire suppression is disarmed. This can be done by a fire suppression company. By law, you are not allowed to tamper with fire suppression systems unless you are from the company that services it. Once this is done, you should turn off the exhaust fan and cover it with tape. Gas pilot lights should also be shut off when the appliances cool down. Move all appliances away from the hood. If moving them is not possible, you can place thick cardboards on top of the appliances. Use plastic to cover the hood and all kitchen appliances. All exposed kitchen equipment should also be covered to avoid getting chemicals on them.
The next step involves removing the filters and placing them on a plastic covered surface because they could drip grease in the kitchen. Gather all materials required for the cleaning process. They include; degreaser chemicals, goggles, scrapers and piping. Scrape all the grease from the hood. When finished, spray to with degreaser chemicals and let it sit for 20 minutes. You may be required to spray more times depending on the amount of grease that has accumulated in the hood. When the chemical breaks up the grease, you can now use a hot pressure washer. Apply 150 degrees or more when cleaning the hood, fan and plenum. When finished, make sure that the water is disposed of correctly. For more information on kitchen hood cleaning, read this Air Tek blog post.
AirTek provides kitchen hood cleaning services to restaurants, residences and other facilities. We are proud members of the International Kitchen Exhaust Cleaning Association, which promotes best practices in the exhaust hood cleaning industry:
“IKECA members are committed to providing a complete cleaning of the entire system– from the hood in the kitchen to the fan on the roof. They follow the most complete cleaning and inspection standards in the industry…Most other companies simply provide a quick and easy “hood cleaning” service which does not include the duct work or rooftop fan. This may keep the interior of the kitchen looking sharp, but it does little to secure fire safety and reduce health threats. They don’t clean the entire system and aren’t committed to the same high standards as IKECA members.”
AirTek’s commitment to high standards and best practices is unparalleled. Call on us for kitchen hood cleaning services with confidence.