Sometimes it seems like “Another day, another air duct cleaning scam.” Stories crop up all the time. This week it is a couple of Southern California men posing as contractors to rip off elderly homeowners.
You can watch the story on KCAL-9 here.
The men gained access to the homes with flyers and phone calls and then when inside, would provide photographs of mold and other types of contamination, claiming they were taken inside the home during an inspection.
Sadly, these Los Angeles area seniors were duped and some ended up giving the con men as much as $100,000.
Homeowners do sometimes need the services these criminals claimed to provide: mold removal, air duct cleaning, pest control, and more. But when you choose a company to provide these services, choose wisely. Here are some tips for picking a reputable company:
- Make sure the company is a member in good standing of the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA) and that they are certified by NADCA to perform HVAC system cleaning
- Always check the license status at www.cslb.ca.gov or call 1-800-321-2752
- Find out whether the company is in good standing with your local Better Business Bureau
- Request a written quote
- Pick a start date that works for you–don’t be rushed into anything
- Before purchasing a coupon, ask if there are restrictions
If you are contacted by a contractor offering a company’s services, check them out or ask for help doing so. Having clean air ducts is important to your health and well-being, but take your time and choose your service provider wisely!