An Alliance Environmental Group Company
CALL TOLL FREE: 1-877-858-6213

After a Disaster

Posted on May 21, 2013
by Wendy Stackhouse

Tornado

It’s hard to get our minds off the devastation in Oklahoma today, so let’s talk about what can come in the aftermath of such a catastrophe.

If you’ve been reading our blog here or at Alliance Environmental Group, you know better than to:

Pull up your own asbestos floor tile

Disturb asbestos pipe or boiler insulation

Try to remove lead paint yourself

Use room foggers to kill bed bugs

Keep old mercury thermometers

Use power tools that create wood dust without a face mask

We are proud to be raising awareness about dangers that can arise in our homes, offices and schools.

But what if some of these materials become dangerous through no fault of your own?

Natural disasters can happen to anyone: floods, fires, earthquakes, tornadoes can all wreak havoc on your home, including the parts of it that you thought were safe if left alone.

Asbestos was used in cement, in pipe and vermiculite insulation, and in other building materials for many years. Lead paint can be disturbed and begin to peel through water or heat damage due to fire.  Lingering moisture from a flood can cause mold to grow where no mold has grown before.

This video from the Indoor Air Quality Associations offers helpful information about what can happen to your indoor environment after a fire:

If you have experienced a disaster, be safe.  Have your home or other building inspected for any dangerous materials before you start cleaning up or even a demolition project. Alliance Environmental Group and AirTek offer many services that are helpful after disasters such as: structural drying and mold remediationasbestos and lead paint removal, and even demolition and the ensuing cleanup.  Call us anywhere in California and we will help you recover from your disaster!

Our thoughts continue to be with the victims of the storms in Oklahoma and their families.

Subscribe to our Newsletter