Procedures for Cleaning a dryer Vent
- Check operation of dryer (Turn on and run) make sure it is getting warm and there are no strange noises. If a problem with the dryer, make customer aware of the existing problem and ask if they would like you to continue.
- Check outside outlet for blockages. If outlet is on the roof our insurance does not cover climbing on high roofs. It might be possible to get access to roof vent through attic area and at the same time you can check main dryer duct condition to insure there are no leaks or breaks in the duct.
- In most cases it will be necessary to move Dryer from wall, but first unplug unit and check gas flex pipe to insure enough slack is available to move dryer out.
- Take precautions to protect hardwood floors or any other type of floors. Use rags under dyer to protect floor when pulling it out from the wall.
- Remove flex pipe or hard pipe to get to main dryer duct.
- Cleaning main Dryer Duct Cautions: When running white air line or vacuum hose in a dryer vent we need to take extra care due to dryer ducts are not always securely connected. The building code is no screws to connect ducting joints they have to be taped with approved fire rated tin tape. In most cases contractors when the homes were built did not use tape relying solely on walls and studs to keep it in place. Some dyers could also be spiral Alumaflex the same flex duct they use to connect the dryer to the main duct but a little more heavy duty. Alumaflex is usually connected to a 90degree elbow or KD (Sheet Metal) Sleeve, which is at the wall, were you connect the dryer. This also can be easily disconnected. We do not want to have to break open any walls so please be careful.
- Outside Dryer outlet damper flap: It might be necessary to secure outdoor flap to a wide-open position before applying vacuum to the main dryer duct. This will insure proper airflow to obtain maximum effect of vacuum.
- Reconnect Flex piping insuring there are no kinks and there is good air flow check system. Check for good flow and Dyer is in the good working order.
- Good Job!!!!